- There is an Atman or soul independent of body and mind. This soul is immortal,
unchanging and infinite. Realise this Atman and be free.
- This Atman is Satchidananda (Existence-Absolute, Consciousness-Absolute,
Bliss-Absolute). It exists in the past, present and future. So it is Sat. It is pure or
Absolute Consciousness without any thought. So it is Chit. It is absolute Bliss. So it is
- The unreal body perishes, but the Atman or the indweller is Immortal. So, you should not
grieve when anyone dies. In essence everyone is Immortal Atman.
- This Atman cannot be hurt by anyone. It is subtle, all-pervading. It is the Innermost
Self of all.
- This Atman is birthless, deathless, changeless. When the body is killed, He is not
killed. Therefore grieve not, lament not, regret not. Be always cheerful.
- Fire cannot burn this Atman, sword cannot pierce this Atman, bomb cannot destroy this
Atman, machine-guns cannot kill this Atman.
- This Atman is eternal, immovable, secondless, self-existent, self-centred. Therefore,
knowing this to be such, thou shouldst not grieve, when your father, mother, son, wife or
- This perishable body will certainly pass away. Indweller can never perish. Thou art the
immortal soul. Therefore, over the inevitable thou shalt not grieve.
- Brahman or Atman is beyond the reach of the mind and speech. He is beyond logic, reason,
mental process, science. He must be realised through meditation.
- You cannot deny or doubt your existence. You always feel that you exist. This existence
is Atman or your own Self. The knower of the doubt or denier always exists. That knower is
your own Atman.
- In dream you are distinct from the physical body. In deep sleep, you are distinct from
the body and the mind. You enjoy peace and bliss in deep sleep. This proves that you are
neither body nor mind, but you are All-Blissful Soul.
- There is only one Reality or Truth. That is Brahman or Atman. All appearances are
unreal. They are the effects of Maya, the illusory power of Brahman.
- Behold the one Immortal Atman in all names and forms. This alone is correct perception.
- Ignorance is the cause for pain and sorrow. Annihilate this ignorance through Brahma
Jnana. All miseries will come to an end.
- This Atman is beyond time, space, causation. Time, space, causation are mental creation.
- Just as snake is superimposed on the rope, this world, and the body are superimposed on
- Bring a light, the snake vanishes; rope alone remains. Attain Illumination, this world
and this body vanish. Atman alone remains. That Atman thou art. Tat Tvam Asi.
- I-ness and mine-ness, agency and enjoyership bind you to the Samsara. Destroy these
notions. Identify yourself with the Atman which is non-doer, non-enjoyer. You will attain
Immortality and eternal Bliss.
- Sensual pleasure is only pain. It is momentary mental excitement, momentary sensation of
flesh, momentary itching and scratching of the senses. You can have eternal bliss in your
own Inner Atman alone.
- Enquire Who am I? Deny or sublate the limiting adjuncts (body, mind, etc.);
know the Self and be free.
- Constantly think of the Immortal, all-pervading Atman. Give up thinking of body. You
will attain Self-realisation.
- You are ever free. You are already free. Moksha is not a thing to be attained. You will
have to know that you are Atman, that you are free.
- Destroy the Vasanas, subtle desires, and Trishnas, cravings. This will lead to the
annihilation of the mind. Destruction of the mind will lead to the attainment of Brahma
Jnana or wisdom of the Self.
- This world is illusory. Brahman alone is real. You are identical with Brahman. Realise
this and be free.
- The liberated sage is ever blissful. He rests in his own Satchidananda Svaroopa. He is
free from egoism, lust, hatred, greed, anger and the pairs of opposites. He has equal
vision and balanced mind. He is Brahman Himself.
- OM is the symbol of Brahman. OM is your real name. Meditate on Om with Bhava and its
meaning. You will attain Self-realisation.
- I am the All-pervading, Immortal Soul. I am Pure Consciousness. I am Satchidananda
Svaroopa. I am witness or Sakshi.These are the formulas for constant
meditation and assertion.
- Equip yourself with the Four Means. Hear the Srutis, reflect and meditate. You will
- Thou art not this perishable body. Thou art not this changing mind. Thou art
all-pervading, immortal, infinite, changeless Soul or Atman. Realise this and roam about
- Watch the breath. It sings Soham, So during inhalation and Ham,
during exhalation. It reminds you I am He. Meditate on Soham and
- I am body. I act. I enjoy. She is my wife. He is my son. This is
mine.This is bondage. I am Immortal Soul. I am non-actor, non-enjoyer.
She is my soul. Nothing is mine.This is freedom.
THUS ENDS JNANA YOGA OR
THE YOGA OF THE WISDOM OF THE SELF